1933 - RICHLAND TOWNSHIP FIRE & RESCUE
Formerly Shelly Fire Company
Buck County Station 56
Richland Township Fire & Rescue was founded in a private residence garage in early 1933. People needing the Fire Company would call a local family who would take their information then proceed to the third floor of their home and hand crank a siren to alert firefighters.
In 1948, the Fire Company purchased land and improvements on Shelly Road, Richland Township. This two bay garage would serve as the fire station. In 1954 an additional bay was built on the north side of the original building to help house the growing fire company needs.
May 31, 1957, and again on July 11, 1969 the Fire Company purchased additional lands around the station for possible future expansion. In 1977 after several years of fund raising an 8 bay Engine House addition was built on the north side of the original firehouse to house all the equipment. At that time the original building was converted to a social hall, which is still in use today.
Shelly Fire bought its first new fire engine in 1954, an International with a three-stage fire pump. In 1974 we bought a MB600 diesel MACK Fire Engine, with a 1000 gpm Waterous pump. We also acquired a used International oil delivery truck, which was converted to a water tanker.
In 1977 The Ladies Auxiliary donated funds to purchase a Chevrolet Box Utility truck, at that time the Fire Company began Rescue services to the community. 1250 GPM In the 1980’s a 1974 MACK diesel chassis replaced the International Tanker.
In the mid 1980’s we purchased an F600 Ford stake body truck and converted it to our rescue truck, the 1977 Chevrolet utility was then converted to a special service vehicle until it was taken out of service in the mid 1990’s a 1987 FOUR GUYS/MACK TANKER PUMPER with a 1500 gpm Hale Pump was added to the fleet.
As we entered the 1990’s our original new fire engine the 1954 International was sold to a collector for restoration and preservation.
In 1994 we purchased an E-ONE/FREIGHT-LINER Commercial Chassis Fire Engine with a 1250 gpm Hale Pump, at that time our aging 1974 MACK Fire Engine was sold to a restoration company in South Carolina for conversion to a Tanker for a company in Georgia. That brings us to present day.
In December of 1999 we purchased a 1995 E-One Cyclone Heavy Rescue Truck. This unit entered service in early 2000, the F600 former rescue has been converted to a special service.
Fire company changes name to improve recognition – Shelly Fire Company, Station 56, decided to change its name from Shelly Fire Company to Richland Township Fire and Rescue. The change was proposed by company volunteers earlier in 2002, and sanctioned by the township supervisors, and approved by Pennsylvania’s Dept. of State. With the hope it will increase the image in the local area. The new families moving in could now associate the fire company with the municipality in which we serve.
In 2002 the Ford F600 was sold to Grants Auto Salvage. The RTFR then purchased a 1993 GMC utility truck from the Upper Saucon Fire Dept. Lehigh county along with their 1993 Wells Fargo collapse trailer. RTFR started a Technical Rescue team which serves the five areas surrounding Bucks county.
In 2007 the GMC Utility truck was sold to Montco Chief 42 for his personal use, RTFR then purchased a 2008 Chevy 3500 diesel Dualie pickup utilized for QRS and a support piece for the Technical Rescue trailer.
In 2009 the Technical Rescue Trailer was sold to the state of Arkansas.
In 2010 we placed and HME/Ahrens Fox six person cab pumper/tanker in service.
RICHLAND TOWNSHIP FIRE & RESCUE APPARATUS
1954-1987 International with a 3-stage pump
1974-1994 Mack MB 1000 gpm pumper
1974-1997 International Oil delivery used as a tanker. Re-chassed with a 74 Mack in
1977-1980’s Chevrolet Box truck Rescue. Converted to Utility in mid 1990’s.
1980’s-2002 F700 Ford Rescue. Converted to a special service in 1990
1987-2010 Mack 1500 gpm pumper/tanker
1994-present E-One Freightliner 1250 gpm pumper
2000-present 1995 E-One Cyclone Rescue
2002-2007 Purchased a GMC utility truck from Upper Saucon Fire Co.
2008-present Chevrolet 3500 4 Door Pick-up Utility
Shelly Fire Company D.B.A.
Richland Township Fire And Rescue
64 Shelly Rd.
Quakertown, PA 18951